1. Entries must be emailed as a Word document or PDF attachment with the subject heading “CWA First Chapter Contest” to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
2. The deadline for entries is October 15, 2018. No entries received after that date will be considered.
2. In the body of the email, please include your contact information: name and email address. All entries must be the original work of the author from a work-in-progress. No previously published work will be considered.
3. Judging will be based on merits that should be found in a first chapter, including a good opening hook, strong characterizations, compelling voice, conflict, dialogue, and no grammar/mechanical errors. Judges will also be looking at your presentation. Did you follow the rules, submit in the correct format, with the manuscript at the appropriate length. Generally, we are looking for an entry with a fresh idea, presented with clarity, structure, and elements of exceptional writing.
4. There is no restriction on style or theme.
5. Submissions should be double-spaced, using 12 point Times New Roman font with one-inch margins.
6. Page limit: 10. If your first chapter is more than 10 pages, only the first 10 pages will be judged so please do not submit more than 10 pages.
7. Pages must be numbered in consecutive order.
8. Please submit with a cover page. Do NOT put your name on the cover page or any other page of the manuscript. Your cover page should include only: the manuscript title and word count.
9. Remember, the author’s name should not appear anywhere in your entry (contact info goes in the body of your email). PLEASE double check this before submitting. This includes your headers and footers.
10. Proof your work before submitting. Show us your best!
11. One entry per person.
12. Entrants must be current dues-paying members of the Chicago Writers Association.