Since its launch in 2009, the CWA Speakers Bureau has provided CWA members a valuable opportunity to book events, build their individual platforms, and sell books, while simultaneously offering event programmers a trusted resource to guide their programming efforts.
In August, the CWA will finalize and post the NEW 2017-2018 CWA Speakers Bureau Menu to the CWA homepage and distribute a hard copy of the menu to more than 200 Chicago area libraries and venues.
For CWA members interested in joining, here are the details:
- The CWA Speakers Bureau is only open to current CWA members. If you have a colleague who wishes to be included, he or she will first need to join CWA.
- One program listing costs $45. Two program listings cost $85. Three program listings, the maximum number allowed, cost $120. Pay online by visiting: http://www.chicagowrites.org/speakers-bureau-registration/
or by sending a check made payable to Chicago Writers Association, P.O. Box 6505, Evanston, IL 60204. Payment is due JULY 15.
- Listings are active for one calendar year and will expire in August 2018.
- You must submit your program profile/menu listing electronically in the text of an email (not as an attachment) to email@example.com by 11:59pm CST on JULY 15. This is a firm deadline with no exceptions.
- Right down to punctuation and capitalization, each menu listing should follow the Speakers Bureau’s standard format, which is:
“Title of the program” by Presenter’s Name
Maximum 75-word program description. Note if the program includes handouts, booklets, Q&A, etc. (Intended audience; Length in minutes; Fee and any special requests, such as reimbursement for travel expenses or permission to sell books)
References: List up to two references – name and contact info. References should be of the professional variety, not personal, and, ideally, should be able to comment on the program being presented.
Website: If available, list your website or blog address
Contact Info: Provide your phone number(s) and email
Here is a specific example to follow:
“Chicago Genealogy 101” by Grace DuMelle
Learn the challenges of searching for your Windy City relations from Grace DuMelle, author of Finding Your Chicago Ancestors and head of Heartland Historical Research. Discover lesser-known sources for family historians – fire insurance maps, probate cases, inquest records, and more – that can open a window into your ancestors’ world. Includes handouts, Q&A. (Adults; 60 min; $150 with permission to sell books)
References: John Smith, Evanston Public Library, (847) 555-1212, firstname.lastname@example.org; Mary Jones, Oak Lawn Public Library, (708) 555-1212, email@example.com
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; (312) 842-8933
ATTENTION PREVIOUS SPEAKERS BUREAU MEMBERS: If you want the exact same listing(s) as presented in the 2016-2017 Speakers Bureau menu (found here: http://www.chicagowrites.org/chicago-writers-association-speakers-bureau/), please pay the appropriate fee and then contact Daniel Smith at email@example.com to confirm those details.
- All presentations are subject to CWA approval and listings will be edited as necessary to meet style, space, and tone.
- There is no guarantee Speakers Bureau members will get booked for an event. The CWA is a vehicle to promote programs in an effective, credible light. If an event programmer wishes to schedule a program, he/she will contact the member directly. It is each member’s responsibility to handle such queries in a professional manner. The CWA does not function as an intermediary or actively line up programs for Speakers Bureau members.
Please contact CWA Speakers Bureau director Daniel P. Smith at (708) 717-6126 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.