Since its launch in 2009, the CWA Speakers Bureau continues its run as one of the literary organization’s marquee offerings. Speakers have reported steady success in securing event bookings, earning money, and selling books, while event programmers have called the CWA Speakers Bureau Menu an invaluable resource.
In August, the CWA will finalize and post the NEW 2015-2016 CWA Speakers Bureau Menu to the CWA homepage and distribute a hard copy of the menu to more than 200 Chicago area libraries and venues.
For CWA members interested in joining, here are the details:
- The CWA Speakers Bureau is only open to active CWA members. If you have a colleague who wishes to be included, he or she will first need to join CWA.
- One program listing costs $40; a second listing costs an additional $35 ($75 total); and a third listing runs $30 ($105 total). You can pay online by visiting: http://www.chicagowrites.org/chicago-writers-association-speakers-bureau/ or by sending a check made payable to Chicago Writers Association, P.O. Box 6505, Evanston, IL 60204. Payment is due JULY 15.
- Listings are active for one calendar year as the Speakers Bureau is an annual project.
- You must submit your program profile/menu listing electronically in the text of an email (not as an attachment) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm CST on JULY 15. This is a firm deadline with no exceptions.
- Right down to punctuation and capitalization, each menu listing should follow the Speakers Bureau’s standard format, which is:
“Title of the program” by Presenter’s Name
Maximum 75-word program description. Note if the program includes handouts, booklets, Q&A, etc. (Intended audience; Length in minutes; Fee and any special requests, such as reimbursement for travel expenses or permission to sell books)
References: List up to two references – name and contact info. References should be of the professional variety, not personal, and, ideally, should be able to comment on the listed program.
Website: If available, list your website or blog address
Contact Info: Provide your phone number(s) and email
Here is a specific example to follow:
“Chicago Genealogy 101” by Grace DuMelle
Learn the challenges of searching for your Windy City relations, such as scores of unindexed newspapers, from Grace DuMelle, author of Finding Your Chicago Ancestors and head of Heartland Historical Research Service. Discover lesser-known sources for family historians – fire insurance maps, probate cases, and inquest records – that can open a window into your ancestors’ world. Includes handouts, Q&A. (Adults; 60 min; $150 with permission to sell books)
References: John Smith, Evanston Public Library, (847) 555-1212, email@example.com
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org; (312) 842-8933
Two important notes:
- All presentations are subject to CWA approval.
- There is no guarantee Speakers Bureau members will get booked for an event. The CWA is a vehicle to promote programs in an effective, credible light. If an event programmer wishes to schedule a program, he/she will contact the member directly. It is each member’s responsibility to handle such queries in a professional manner. The CWA does not function as an intermediary or actively line up programs for Speakers Bureau members.
Please contact CWA Speakers Bureau director Daniel P. Smith at (708) 717-6126 or email@example.com with any questions.